Sunday, February 27, 2005

Looking back at your life, describe one particular event that you wish you had handled differently?

Looking back at your life, describe one particular event that you wish you had handled differently?

Answer #1 --
I think if I had one particular event to do again, I would have waited until I was older before I married. I thought I understood what love was, and I did to a certain extent. As a small child, I remember thinking that I loved my parents so much there was no way that they could love me more than I loved them. I thought that I would do anything for my parents -- even to the point of sacrificing my own life for them. Unfortunately, thinking something and knowing something are two different things. I truly understood the meaning of unconditional love when I held my own children in my arms. I wish I had truly understood this difference before I married. As it turned out, neither of us had that important insight and many people suffered from our "uneducated" decision.

Answer #2 --
Probably the decision in my past that I regret the most was the decision to get married when I was so young. We were both young, and our lack of maturity (even though we thought we were mature) did not help our ability to make it work as a couple. We weren't prepared for the commitment that a future together would take. I am most regretful for the way that it has affected my family and specifically, my children. The divorce itself was relatively painless for the children, as they were relieved that I left their father and moved closer to my family. Unfortunately, there was a time later when their father was determined to cause me pain and the easiest way to do that was to hurt the children. So if I had it to do over, and apparently I do, I would not enter into a relationship in which I was not prepared to invest all that I have and all that I am with a man who is also willing to invest in the same manner.

1 Comments:

At 10:43 AM , Blogger whackergirl said...

Wow...being a Mom, it just blew me away that you didn't realize how much your parents loved you...but ofcourse you were a child...and ofcourse, now you KNOW how a Mom loves her kids.
Aren't kids amazing in the way they think and percieve?...and even more amazing are the things they carry with them in silence?
Had you told your parents what you thought I bet they would have told you how much a child means to a parent.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home